At least one: on discourse and disagreement | Mackenzie Hawkins | TEDxAmadorValleyHigh

Mackenzie believes that our nation's political discourseâ€"and general discourseâ€"has become increasingly volatile, divisive, and partisan. This has caused us to avoid opposing viewpoints and consume only information, media, and discussion that pertains to and supports our own perspectives. However, this is a dangerously narrow worldview. Progress only happens when we take a few steps back from our own beliefs, and can then take a few steps forward alongside those whom we disagree with. This is particularly relevant in news consumption. In order to gain a full, comprehensive understanding of our country and world, we need to read a diverse set of news and talk to a diverse set of people. Mackenzie Hawkins is a senior at Amador, and I’m passionate about discussion. In my years in California YMCA Youth and Government, including my run for Youth Governor of California, and my international travels, I’ve discovered the importance of genuine, authentic, productive conversation. I’m a bit of a politics nerd and I hope to, one day, call myself a servant leader and hold public office. In the meantime, I am a member of Amador Leadership, a proud Youth and Government delegate, an athlete, a writer, and a humbled, ecstatic TEDx speaker. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

Comments